Sunday, January 15, 2006

 

Jan 16 Romans 9

Before you read this, go ahead and look first at Romans 9 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Romans 9:

Who in the world do you think you are to second-guess God? Do you for one moment suppose any of us knows enough to call God into question? Clay doesn't talk back to the fingers that mold it, saying, "Why did you shape me like this?" Isn't it obvious that a potter has a perfect right to shape one lump of clay into a vase for holding flowers and another into a pot for cooking beans?(The Message)


Title: God’s Mercy and His Judgment

Observation: This chapter begins with the Apostle Paul speaking of his torment about the fact that most of the Jewish nation refused to acknowledge Jesus as the long promised Messiah. I can’t imagine being like Paul and saying to God that I would be willing to cut off for eternity for a group of people that had tormented and beaten me. Yet, Paul’s heart is broken over the many who refused to see n that Jesus was the Son of God.

This is one of the hardest chapters for me to understand and accept in the Bible. I believe that God created us with free will, the choice whether we would turn and love Him. And yet the implication in this chapter is that some have had their hearts hardened and pushed away by God. It would be much easier for me if the scripture said that God allowed them to harden their own hearts. It doesn’t say that. But I believe that each of these had gone a long way down the road of turning their back on God before he chose to use them as part of us plan for the salvation of many.

But the truth is that I do not understand enough to question God. I do not understand God’s sovereignty and the way he works. I am finite and my understanding is limited; He is infinite and created all things. Perhaps the lesson to be learned here is the wisdom of Job, ‘The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away; Blessed be the Name of the Lord.’


Application: I need to learn humility. It is my job in life to seek out the Lord to try to understand Him and His ways. It’s not my role to critique my creator. He has shown me love, mercy and grace. I can trust Him. And I can go to Him and ask for wisdom. I understand God’s actions in the Bible at least 95% of the time, and I need to trust the wisdom of God for the other 5%.


Prayer: Lord, help me to be humble and acknowledge that You are God and I am your created. You have entrusted me with words of life and salvation, truth of the world and knowledge of the eternal. Let me be content in the not knowing, the not understanding, as you work in my life and change me. Let my words directed to you be praise. Let me focus on my role as your servant, not a board member that thinks their job is holding You accountable. Help me to be faithful in all things that you give to me.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?