Monday, January 16, 2006

 

Jan 17th Romans 10

Before you read this, go ahead and look first at Romans 10 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Romans 10:2-3
I can assure you that they are deeply devoted to God, but they are misguided. They don't understand [how to receive] God's approval. So they try to set up their own way to get it, and they have not accepted God's way for receiving his approval. (God’s Word)

Title: And I Did it MY Way…and It Turned Out To Be Useless

Observation: Paul continues in chapter 10 dealing with the painful reality that most of the Jews of his day did not turn to Jesus as their savior. Here is the hard part to come to terms with- they authentically were trying to please God. They desired to be His children. But they were too attached to their traditions and the Law to see what God had brought among them. The Law was not to be worshipped, God was. But they made an idol out of the Law and refused to worship God himself in the person of Jesus.

This strikes very close to home. We see that just working hard for God is not enough. What traditions do we venerate that keep us from worshipping Jesus? What things do we do that seem right that actually keep others from hearing the Gospel of Jesus? Desire for God is not enough, as the Paul points out. It must be directed out of the correct knowledge of faith.

And even more importantly, it must be led by God. We may desire to do good things for God, but we need to invest our lives in the things God cares about. God instituted a new form of righteousness through the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross: the old manner of attaining righteousness by observing the Law was shown to be flawed. We need not merely to have good intentions, but to serve in God ordained ways. The good news is that if we are attentive to God’s word and prayer the Holy Spirit will lead us in truth and how God desires us to spend our energies.

Application: Just my desire to serve God isn’t enough. I don’t want to waste my energies running around and not accomplishing anything. And there are so many ways to do just that. I need to track with God, to understand His plan, and to throw my life into it. I need to spend time nurturing my relationship with Him, sharpening my understanding of Jesus and his teaching, of listening attentively to the Holy Spirit.

Prayer: Lord, I desire to serve you, and to do your will and not my own. Lead me in all truth. Do not let me work be in vain, show me how to invest in the things of an eternal nature. Lead me in paths of righteousness, for Your name’s sake. Lord help me to see where you want me to go, serve, and lead in matters great and small. God, you are faithful and wise, help me to wait and see your direction. Help me not to try to set up my own way into your kingdom, but to follow the path that you have laid out for me.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?