Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Jan. 5, Romans 4

Before you read this, go ahead and look first at Romans 4 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s):Rom 4:23-24
But the words "his faith was regarded as God's approval of him" were written not only for him but also for us. Our faith will be regarded as God's approval of us who believe in the one who brought Jesus, our Lord, back to life. (GW)

Title: Ya Gotta Believe

Observation: Paul paints two complementary portraits of Abraham in this passage. One is the brave man who serves God, goes where he is called to go, accepts the mark of circumcision- basically a good servant of God who deserves his wages from God. God will honor that.

But beyond that Paul paints a second image, a more mystical one. It’s the man of faith, the one who believes God’s promises, the promises that he will be blessed if he goes to a new land (at 75), that he will have a child in his extreme old age, and that God will bless all people through him. It is this faith, this untouchable trust in God, which is raised up as his greatest strength.

It’s interesting, that God is more honored and blessed by the second image of faith than the first image of servanthood. We are credited with the righteousness of Christ if we believe; our own righteousness (or lack thereof) if we rely on our hard work. Paul is saying that faith, believing in God and particularly Jesus death on the cross for us, is more important than any work or service to God we could perform. We too can Jesus righteousness credited to us (and not our own shaky pattern) if we believe that He is the Christ. Belief, then, is the central occupation of the Christian life, not service to God.

Application: Had a nephew born today. Like us, both parents passed thirty. Though not quite Abraham and Sarah, the child we have is a blessing from God, a little touchstone of God’s promise and His faithfulness. While there is much work for me to do as a father and uncle, these boys need me to be a person of faith, a man of prayer, before all else. In my limited capacity I cannot make either believe, nor am I going to have the greatest influence on either of there lives to turn to Jesus. That will be the work of the Holy Spirit. My job is to be a model of faith and an intercessor with the Holy Spirit on behalf of these two, that they might grow into towering men of faith.

Prayer: Lord God, thank you for the safe birth of little Jackson. I pray your blessing on his parents as they go through all the terror and joy of being first time parents. I pray that you will comfort them and draw them to yourself through the ministry of this little child. Help me to be a support and a beacon of faith to them. I pray that I might be a person who believes, then acts, not one who tries to hold the world together by sheer force of will. Teach me to walk more in step with your spirit, that my faith might be credited as righteousness and that it might influence others to see your grace as you work through me. Thank you for your faithfulness and love. Help me to mirror that grace to everyone around me.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?