Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

Jan. 6th Psalm 1

Before you read this, go ahead and look first at Psalm 1 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s):Psalm 1:2

Rather, he delights in the teachings of the LORD and reflects on his teachings day and night. (GW)


Title: Breakin’ the Law…or Not Wanting To?

Observation: Out culture lionizes those who break the rules. It’s funny how even the most straight-laced, bulwark, blue chip companies try to promote themselves as “rebels”. Those who follow the rules are sneered at and ridiculed, as those who drive the speed limit on the freeway. But imagine going beyond merely having a truce with the moral rules (I will leave them alone if they leave me alone) and actually embracing, loving the laws of God. To not merely accept that the rules laid out by God are for my own good, like broccoli, but actively setting out to have broccoli as the main course and craving more of it. To earnestly desire to put myself under God’s authority and find my unique place in the created order.


Application: I don’t love all the laws of God, and I want to cry freedom, that Jesus has given me freedom from the Law. True. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. And the purity code of the Old Testament has been wiped out by Jesus’ revelation to Peter in Acts (among other places). But the moral teachings of the Bible, in particular the sermon on the mount, are still the way that God wants me to live. And God, I believe, wants me not to merely tolerate, or grudgingly accept and follow his truth, but to love it.


Prayer: Lord God, help me to love all your teaching as much as I love to worship you in your sanctuary. Curb my desire to be headstrong and desire my own way. Help me to teach my son that discipline is good, that rules have a place, and that there can be joy through them, not merely in bending or breaking them. Give me the courage to follow your rules even when everyone else is placing themselves above them.

Jesus, I give you praise for all that you have done for me. Father I think about your creative work and perfection, and I kneel in awe of you. Holy Spirit, you who animate and give fresh wind, new life, thank you for your refreshing touch. Lord have control over me and lead me in the everlasting way.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?