Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

Jan 9th Romans 5

Before you read this, go ahead and look first at Romans 5 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s):Rom 5:3-4
We are glad for our troubles also. We know that troubles help us learn not to give up. When we have learned not to give up, it shows we have stood the test. When we have stood the test, it gives us hope. (New Life Version)

Title: Scarily Supernatural Power Within Our Reach

Observation: We are not neutral to God before we accept Jesus as our savior. We are God’s enemies, opposed to His plan in the world. The image of One giving up the glories of heaven to be confined in a human body to save His friends is startling. The vision of a God coming to earth to die for his enemies, those opposed to him is only explained as God. God turning everything we think we know and believe upside down. God is in a sense totally other, beyond our logic or understanding.

The image of the two Adams is a little hard. Adam is just the Hebrew word for man, and Jesus is the second Adam. The first Adam (man) brought sin and death into the world through his disobedience to God, the second brought Adam (Jesus) brought grace and eternal life through his obedience to God. And Paul tells us that, somehow, the echo of grace will ring louder and more profoundly then spread of sin and death ever did. Jesus has more than brought us to even, he has brought us into new life and the creation back into relationship with God.

Did the Apostle Paul really brag about his suffering? Well, the Bible shows that he did, particularly in 2 Corinthians 11. But if I am to really understanding the Christian life I must understand suffering. And I must embrace suffering, not trying to get out of it, but accept the full measure of it. When I can stand on God’s promise, the world throws all it can at me, and I am unmoved because I have experienced suffering and know that my God will deliver me and He is my provision, perhaps then, I will have attained the maturity in Christ that I desire.

Application: I desire maturity, but not the scuffs and scars that it takes to reach that point. Our culture does not value suffering- I would receive advice to remove myself from relationships that cause discomfort or pain. But in the midst of difficulties I have learned and continue to learn that I can trust God. The next time I am clobbered for sticking to what I believe God is calling me to, I will stand there and take it. I will not retaliate in any form. I will wait for Jesus to vindicate me. Lord help me!

Prayer: Lord, I long to be one of your saints, one who is unafraid to take a hit for doing what you have called me to do and be. You are faithful all the time, yet, I try to run away when things hurt. Help me to not run away from the hurt, but to run toward it with the energies of prayer. Help me to be courageous, for my family, for my church, and ultimately for you, so that I might be counted as faithful. Lord, I can’t do this. But you can. You are Holy and Good. You gave up everything to give me the gift of eternal life and the opportunity to become what you created me to be. Help me to be the man of faith you have called me to be. Thank you for you life and death, you eternal love that rescued me gave me hope and a future.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?