Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

January 19th Romans 12

Before you read this, go ahead and look first at Romans 12 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Romans 12:4-6a

In this way we are like the various parts of a human body. Each part gets its meaning from the body as a whole, not the other way around. The body we're talking about is Christ's body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we? So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body, let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't...(The Message)


Title: I Am an Undersized Power Forward

Observation: We have to see things from God’s perspective. God created us to work together, to be a team, to be effective in reaching the world for Jesus.

I remember sitting at Denny’s about midnight, maybe 15 years ago. The three of us went to church together and played basketball together. Meg (Japanese for Megume, male) was about 5’5” and quick, he was our point guard. He would get around his man and cause the other team to leave their defensive assignments and then Meg would either pass or shoot. Patrick was well over 6’ and he was our scorer, he could shoot from anyplace on the court. My job was to set picks (get in the way of my teammates defender), get rebounds, and take the shot when I was wide open. We were not the most talented team out there, but we won almost every game. And the reason is that we all knew our roles, we didn’t interfere with each other, and worked together smoothly. Often my job was just to stand in the middle of the key and have someone run into me, but it allowed Meg to drive to the basket or Patrick to shoot or for me to sneak down by the basket in the confusion. It was Patrick that night who said, “Why can’t the church work like this? I know what I’m supposed to do on the court, but I’m not sure what all I should be doing at church.” We all agreed.

Understanding how we are gifted by God is part of the key to being a part of the team. The other part is being willing to sacrifice our time and need for personal recognition for the good of God’s kingdom. Your job might be the equivalent of standing still and getting run into (think of our leadership board and complaints) that free others to serve unhindered. But when we work together we accomplish what we never could individually.


Application: My job, pastor, is one the “glamour” jobs in the church (though if you got to see it from the inside you might not agree). As the player/coach of the team, I need to focus on how to build the team, help individuals to find their roles, encourage them to give of themselves sacrificially in their area of giftedness, and then set them up to succeed in their roles. I need to not try to do everything myself; that’s arrogant and ineffective. I need to learn how to set up my teammates, my fellow church members to succeed. I need to be willing to let other people lead out of their giftedness under my leadership and that of the Lord.


Prayer: Lord, when I get nervous I try to control everything, do everything myself. Help me to have faith in my teammates and in you. Lord, you put us together at ACBC to be Your team in
American Canyon, help me to recognize the talent and gifts you have placed here and utilize their skill for their development and Your glory. Help me to lead my family in the same way.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?