Monday, January 30, 2006

 

January 31 Jude

Go ahead and look first at Jude . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Jude 24-25

To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. (NIV)


Title: Not the Dreamers’ Dream, the Reality of the Ultimate Reality

Observation: There are several quotations here of books not found in our Old Testament or New Testament. They illustrate a great truth- we are not to add meanings or interpret the scripture in ways that are self-serving. It appear that there was a group that was trying to intellectualize the faith to the point where there were no hard and fast rules, that all truth was relative. And they argued over it and slandered the powers of heaven by placing themselves above the revealed truth of Jesus.

When we decide to take and leave scripture at our own whim, we do the same thing. We must place ourselves under the authority of scripture. We are to not play make believe, like children do, but to see through the fabric of our current smug cynical culture and see through to the truth of God’s creator. We need to get through the façade and into reality.


Application: I need to place myself under the authority of scripture not merely be the arbiter of God’s rule. Too many pastors have lost their way when they see themselves as more important than they ought, and place themselves above the authority of scripture. I must both be chief repenter and caller to repentance of others.


Prayer: Lord God forgive me. I have failed to live the way you want far to often, even today. Help me to live in such a way that I might with integrity call others to follow. Help me to do this both in my family life and in the life of the church. I can only do this through your Spirit.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?