Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

Januray 26th Romans 16

Go ahead and look first at Romans 16 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Romans 16:27

…to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.


Title: Useless Controversies- Why Are They So Much Fun?

Observation: Some passages are like trying to drink from a fire hose* others are like digging for a trickle of water through mounds of dirt. This is the later. There are a few excellent drops, but for the most part the greetings that end this letter are beyond our context.

The first interesting thing is that Junias is mentioned as, with Andronicus, as “outstanding among the apostles”. Paul does not through that term around loosely. And Junia is most likely a woman. A female apostle? And outstanding among the apostles? What was her authority? What does this do to our conception of the role of women in the early church?

Again there is the reminder to not let anyone destroy the unity of the church. We as Baptist sometimes glory in our freedom so much that we forget the second part- with freedom comes responsibility. In fact, we who have a vote in the affairs of the church need to be more diligent in prayer and constant walking with the Lord if we are to pass judgment on the working of God in the ministry

Paul’s “Gospel”? Raise any eyebrows? I’ve become a huge fan of the Apostle Paul, and where once I saw arrogance and egotism in his writings I now almost always give him the benefit of the doubt. Paul is willing to plead, yell, cajole, play poor me, do anything necessary to keep these fledgling churches together in unity and mission. What I see here is that Paul takes pride in “his gospel” because it is an extension of himself; if you know Paul and have heard him, you have heard his “gospel” which always points to Jesus.


Application: I don’t know everything. I sometimes like to pass judgment on ministry and ideas that I really don’t understand. I need to live in prayer, to be competent in areas I don’t understand. To be so full of the spirit that with humility and wisdom I might lead out of the power of Jesus Christ


Prayer: Lord God give me your spirit. Let me be diligent in the work of spiritual discipline. I love freedom; I don’t always like responsibility. Help me to be focused on your things, to be a person who is constantly in step with you and your spirit.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

*Mike Green first used this phrase around me


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?