Sunday, February 12, 2006

 

Feb 13 1 Corinthians 7

Go ahead and look first at 1 Corinthians 7 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): 1 Corinthians 7:5
Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Title: The Concession That Became the Gold Standard

Observation: Paul continues to talk about sexual ethics in this chapter. His main point seems to be celibacy is the best choice in the troubled times in which the church lives, but marriage is the place for sexual intimacy of celibacy would cause someone to stumble into sexual sin. Paul is also clear about the commitment of marriage, that the bonds are crucial and not to be broken lightly.

The time in Paul’s mind is critical, they must be ready to light and witness to the world at all times. 20 centuries after this letter was written its might be easy to discount the tone, and wall the Apostle Paul off with those hysterical people for whom the sky is always falling. Yet the immediacy of the need to be salt and light was very real then, as it is today! I think the overall point is that Paul does not want to see station in life, family situation, or sexual need getting in the way of the mission of the church. All else is to subsumed under the banner of Christ.

Application: I need to move that which clutters my mind and time out so that I might be faithful and ready for the Lord Jesus to come back or to direct me to be his light and witness wherever he wants me in the world. I need to get out of any situation that might bind me from being able to move, as the hymn says” “at the impulse of thy love.” Lord, help me to want that and then help me to do it!

Prayer: Lord God lead me in consistency of what I preach and live. I have been preaching about seeing every day in everyplace as an opportunity to be your witness- Lord help me live it. And help me to share the Good News with someone who needs it.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?