Tuesday, March 14, 2006

 

March 15 Matthew 9

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 9 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 9:36

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

Title: Mercy Street


Observation: I’m so tired I’m going to quote a song that’s come to mind from my teenage-hood. Peter Gabriel’s
Mercy Street

Dreaming of mercy street.
Wear your insides out
Dreaming of mercy
In your daddy’s arms again
Dreaming of mercy street.
swear they moved that sign
Looking for mercy
In your daddy’s arms
Mercy, mercy, looking for mercy
Mercy, mercy, looking for mercy

The dream that we all will find mercy, find hope in the midst of the darkness we have sought and manufactured, and find faith and hope and light. The image of the Father holding us, holding us together, telling us the truth that our fears are merely a childhood nightmare, with not more substance than the figures that haunted the shadows across from our bed. The strong Father that can dispel the fears of His children merely by his presence or voice. To be wrapped up in total security and safety, protected by the strong arms we believed our fathers had until we grew to know their frailty.

We too are helpless without God as our father. Our fears are real without Jesus shepherding us through life and death. We look for mercy in vain unless we trust in Christ. Because even if our smaller fears don’t consume us, the reality is that death ultimately will without the saving arm of Jesus. We have received mercy- let us reflect our salvation from fear and misery by our lives.

Application: I need to be a person of mercy. One who protects, who trusts, who invests so that others might find freedom from the walls others or themselves have made. I need to reflect the mercy of Christ. To trust and love God so that I know that mercy is not in short supply, but that compassion can flow from me, through me, to me by the grace of Jesus Christ.


Prayer: Lord, I’m tired. I’m not sure if I’m even making sense. But I need your compassion. I need you to lead me like the gentle shepherd that you are. I need to be fed and watered, to be led into safety. And if you call me to be your assistant tomorrow, help me to into the sheepfold not to take or kill, but to protect, trust and love, so that others might find safety and sufficiency in You.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?