Wednesday, March 15, 2006

 

March 16 Matthew 10

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 10 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 10:37-39

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Title: The Way of Christ is the Way of Death to Find the Path to Life

Observation: These are hard words of Jesus. He tells us that we must love him more than father and mother. Okay, psychology and counseling have taught us that we can blame our parents for every weakness or failure in our lives. Even possibly we can be selfish and turn or back on our children (too often, Lord, I have when my little one wants a hug or to play I am “too busy.” Have mercy on me). But I think the hard one for our culture, for me, is to take up my cross, to turn away from my selfish desire- Lord I am not worthy of you. I want to, sometimes, but I am very selfish.

Too many times I clothe my selfishness in “spiritual” or “religious” clothing. I go to work early- ostensibly to serve God’s people- but more because I can be more self-focused behind my closed office door than I can at home. I got to a 6am prayer group to seek God and fellowship with other men, but sometimes my motivation is as much others expectations and approval for my teaching as really seeking to lay down my life to follow Jesus. Right now, even this, keeps me from being in bed and putting Josiah to sleep, singing a soft lullaby to him, next to me. Yet, this is part of my spiritual discipline of trusting and learning from God. I am not sure which is best. Lord help me to know what it means to lay down my life for you and your kingdom.

Application: Lord God, help me to live a life of service, to be a living sacrifice. Help me in the next few days to serve the couple that will be having their baby on Friday. Give me the humility to serve them by the privilege of blessing their baby or the privilege of cleaning their bathroom, whatever you need to do. Let me put into practice the lofty thoughts of self-sacrifice that I like to dream about.

Prayer: Jesus, help me to become the man you want me to be, the humble truthspeaking servant that Jesus was. Let me love you more than my wife, my parents, my child, but especially more than I like my comfort and sin. I am weak, but you are strong. Alleluia. Unto Him who sits on the throne and unto the Lamb be glory and power and wisdom forever and ever.



In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?