Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

March 23 Matthew 14

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 14 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 14:13-14
When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.

Title:
Compassion and Solitude

Observation: Jesus in the midst of a successful ministry campaign takes a time out, withdraws to a solitary place. There is no substitute for the presence of God. And it is essential if you are leading anyone else. Too many leaders have fallen because they have not spent enough time in the presence of God. Solitude with God is the source of our primary-not secondary, not additional- inspiration and motivation to live the Christian life. There are other excellent ways to encounter Jesus- worship, bible study, Christian community- but nothing quite like time with God one on one.

I see a connection here for me, perhaps not for our perfect savior, between solitude and compassion. After I have been sensitized to the power of Jesus in personal devotion I am more aware and compassionate towards the need of others. Too often I get calloused. Or I blame the person who is in difficulty for their own predicament. Instead I must let God work his compassionate work through me. This may not always be giving people what they want, but to be an instrument of God’s love and peace.

Application: I need to spend more time with Jesus, carve out intentional blocks of time just to be in His presence. And once I schedule that time, I need to not get “too busy” to spend time in prayer and meditation. I need to allow Jesus to work through me, not just my best ideas implemented by a restless mind.

Prayer: Lord God, help me experience your presence, conviction, grace, and peace. Allow me to serve out of the overflow of your love, not merely the scraps of grace that I haphazardly pick up. Allow me to dwell deeply with you, so that I might be a participant daily in the experience of Grace.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?