Monday, March 06, 2006

 

March 6 Matthew 3

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 3 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 3:8
Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

Title: Does My Study Produce the Fruit of Repentance in My Life?

Observation: John the Baptist is castigating the religious leaders of the time, attacking them for the lifestyles not matching their words. As a pastor, it would be too easy to join alongside John and condemn them without turning the question to myself. What would the fruit of repentance, now subsumed I think under the title of fruits of the Spirit look like? According to Galatians 5 they are “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” I need to make sure that I am in right relationship, not by trying to manufacture these virtues, but by testing myself to see if these are the output of my actions. Too often they are not.

We also see God’s love in this verse poured out on Jesus. A beautiful image of Gods love. And also an image of God’s adoption of us and love for us through our faith in Jesus Christ.

Application: I will love God and allow Him to love me. I will work to be in authentic relationship with Christ from which my actions will be based.

Prayer: Lord, test me and show me where I have failed, so that I might learn to love and trust you more. Help me not to be too discouraged by my failures but to live under your Lordship.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?