Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

March 9th Matthew 6

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 6 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 6:18

so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Title: Spiritual Disciplines…are a Good Thing


Observation: We hear Jesus’ words about not wanting to be outwardly pious…and we take them to mean that we should not do these disciplines at all. Clearly what Jesus is saying is that we should not “boast” of our spiritual discipline, because we might be tempted to make a show of how “holy” we are and pretend in front of God instead of earnestly seeking Him.

In three places in this chapter, Jesus tells us to practice the outward forms of our religion in secret. He warns us that if we do a spiritual discipline to get others admiration, we have already received our reward. Yet, I think the assumption Jesus makes is that we will continue to fast and care for the poor. These two disciplines, among many, when practiced correctly, help us to become the people that Jesus created us to be. If we throw the baby out with the bathwater, like stopping fasting for fear of being seen, we lose the opportunity to meet Jesus in these places and to be transformed by contact with His presence in this unique way.

Application: I need to get back into the practice of fasting. I need to remind myself that the soul is more than the body, that I am more than my last meal. I need to meet God here, and allow him to have a malleable lump of clay, one that desires to be shaped by the Master’s hand.


Prayer: Lord, help me to be malleable. Let me put myself in positions where I encounter you through others and in prayer. Teach me how to truly be Your disciple. Give me wisdom to lead my family and my church. Give me your blessing that I might use it to bless others.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?