Monday, April 03, 2006

 

April 3 Matthew 19

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 19 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 19:27

Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"

Title: Long Term Investing


Observation: Sometimes it feels that we have lost everything in following Jesus. In dark moments, when we have consciously opted out of the wealth making game, when we have used all of our strength to serve Him, when we are tired and alone, it can feel as though we have left everything to follow him, and we sit, worse off than if we had never decided to follow Jesus at all. In times of discouragement, painful circumstance, isolation, and especially persecution, we may wonder why we chose the way at all.

I have a couple of friends who went into ministry who have been shoved aside. One confided in me he saw his doctoral work, that outlined what he believed his life work would be about, and he wept at all that had not been used. Another friend of mine has $40,000 in debt from attending seminary and has had to get by with a series of menial jobs. Both of these guys, among many I know, have risked much to be servants in the kingdom of Heaven, are tremendously gifted, but seem to have lost a great deal for the sake of Jesus.

Yet we can’t know the full outcome of the work we have done for Jesus, we in this life can’t understand God’s plan. And Jesus reminds us of the promise that if we have lost anything for the sake of the Gospel we will be rewarded beyond our imagination in the kingdom of Heaven

Application: I need to remember this when I am tired. I tend not to understand the limits that God has given me, believe I know better than God about the need for Sabbath, and work until I’m exhausted. That’s the moment that I get around to interally blaming other people for me condition, or sometimes thinking that God hasn’t been fair with me. And yet, once I am recharged, I am ready to go. I experience a great deal of joy from the life God has called me to, but sometimes, I forget.

Prayer: Lord God, help me to remember your goodness all the time. Let me remember your mercy that has called me back into your love. Allow me to live within the boundaries in which you have placed me. Allow me to rest in the midst of the storm and know that you have allowed me that grace.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?