Sunday, April 09, 2006

 

April 9 Matthew 23

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 23 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.



Key Verse(s): Matthew 23:5

They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.



Title: Capsizing The Boat


Observation: Someone once said that at a typical professional football game you have 22 players on each side in desperate need of rest and 50,000 fans desperately in need of exercise. I think this is also very true in most churches, where many who sit in the pew desperately need to exercise their spiritual muscles in order to stay fit and healthy in Jesus.



And let’s not kid ourselves- the life that Jesus calls us to is not for the spiritually flabby. The way that Jesus wants us to live is at odds with our culture; we are forever trying to place two masters and running ourselves ragged. While Jesus tells us to seek first the kingdom of God, most of us are also trying to carve out a comfortable financial niche from which to do that.



In order to lead people, and lead them into the kind of life that I believe that God wants for them, almost inevitably I have to challenge people both individually and corporately to a new level of obedience. I believe that God wants us to be effective in living the Christian life and that he wants us to make a difference in the world around us. Most of us need to be motivate, whether encouraged or pushed, to take that next step of faith.



And yet, this scripture hit me, the idea of putting heavy loads on the people of God. Today, I had one of my lead lay people ask a group to help out with greeting on Easter Sunday- and they flatly refused! They felt that the burden was too great, presumably that it was beyond their capability.



And while that, to be honest, angers me, it leads me to question whether I have helped them see the need and to help them make the adjustment to carrying the load they were asked to carry. Balancing the load that the church collectively carries in service and worship is one of the trickiest parts of being a pastor- its too easy to overload the accommodating side of the boat and not bring down the other side that’s higher in the air. But that’s my job.



Application: I need to find those who need exercise, motivate them to take on a new regime, and to allow those who are desperate for a break to find the space and time to breathe. This balance, this illusive promise of Jesus, that my yoke is easy and my manner mild, I need to find. And I need to trust Jesus about what he wants to accomplish through me and the church, and not be more ambitious for the Kingdom (and sometimes just for my sense of accomplishment) as God is for his people. He knows when we are getting ready to break, and cares more for us then the collective movement.



Prayer: Lord God, you who do all things well, help me to trust you. Help me to wait on you. Help me to trust your timing. Lord give me boldness to challenge those who need to serve you more in order to experience more of your goodness and allow me to call timeout for those who need rest, and trust that these things are in your hands. Allow me to love my family and not miss them in the midst of loading people for the journey ahead. Lord, make me an example of both service and balance.



In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?