Monday, April 03, 2006

 

Matthew 20 April 4

Go ahead and look first at Matthew 20 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Matthew 20:13-15

13"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'

Title: God’s Generosity is Not Always to Our Liking


Observation: God is generous. That’s His nature. But sometimes his generosity leaves us feeling like spoiled children on Christmas morning wondering where the “more” is.

God blesses others and sometimes we compare and feel bad. A new church has started in our community in the last year and is already larger than the church I serve at even though we have been ministering to the American Canyon community for 40 years. God gives a person an out-of-the-blue blessing that you can’t imagine even though you have been waiting in line patiently (or sort of patiently) for years.

These are the prerogatives of God. God can choose to bestow his blessing in any way he pleases. The thing that we need to hold on to is that God will give us what we need, not what we want. I suspect that much of the time we don’t get what we want its because that thing would ultimately be damaging to us. A little yeast goes through the loaf.

Application: I battle arrogance and too much success is a major danger for me. I need to be constantly reminded that I am dependent on God for all things. I am by nature too competitive and need to be content in all circumstances, as the Apostle Paul taught.

Prayer: Lord God, help me to be both faithful and joyful with what you have given and not compare myself to others. Allow me to find a way to serve you and reflect and praise and glory due to You, author of all things.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?