Monday, May 15, 2006

 

May 16 Acts 16

Go ahead and look first at Acts 16 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Acts 16:25

About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

Title: Vigilant


Observation: Paul and Silas were up and praying and singing hymns at
midnight! After being mobbed, arrested, and beaten they were up late at night, singing praise to God. No wonder the rest of the prisoners were silent, listening to their testimony.

And I think this vigilance paid off. In the moments after the earthquake they could have done the reasonable thing and run away. Paul had made many escapes before. Instead, awake and alert, they were attentive to the Spirit and saw the jailer and his desperate attempt to end his life.

And instead of saying, “Good, he deserves it”, Paul intervenes to save his life. And then uses this teachable moment to share with the Jailer the Good News of Jesus Christ. The great miracle that takes place is not the earthquake, it’s the salvation of this family. And Paul is vigilant enough to be used by God in this manner.

Application: I need to be vigilant. To be aware of the moments that are available to me to speak the words of Jesus into a hurting life, into a compromised life, into my own life and the collective life of my family. To insert into the mundane the extraordinary power of Jesus.

Prayer: Lord God, help me to see your working and join you in the work. Allow me to not give into my selfish needs, but keep me humble so that I might take the greatest of titles, Servant of the Most High.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?