Monday, May 22, 2006

 

May 23 Acts 20

Go ahead and look first at Acts 20 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.

Key Verse(s): Acts 20:35

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

Title: Finishing Well


Observation: I used to play basketball on the playground in the inner city with the teenagers in my youth group. Old age and treachery were an even match for youth and skill. The thing that I noticed was that a lot of the young players on the court had beautiful, graceful, quick, athletic moves to take the ball toward the basket. But few of them actually made the shot after leaping and pirouetting. And all the strength, agility, leaping ability was to no avail if the ball didn’t actually go through the chain link net.

If we model the Christian life for a while, and by our words and actions get people interested in finding out about Jesus, that is a good thing. But it is a far better thing to be consistent, and finish our service, ministry, and life well. I have seen too many spiritual leaders abuse the trust of those who have followed their lead.

Paul here not only had lived this kind of life, he commended the life to any other who wanted to follow Jesus. He gave us words of Jesus unrecorded in any of the gospels, “It is better to give than receive.” Certainly he had given his life in service, but he also said that this was the better way of living. And we have been given the ultimate example in Jesus who gave his life so that we might be brought into personal relationship with Jesus.

Application: I want to finish well. I know it’s early in my ministry, but I don’t think its ever too early to think about finishing well. I need to build relationship with others and with Jesus that will bring glory to the father. I want to be consistent in my following of Him. I want to practice what Jesus taught, that it is better to give than receive.

Prayer: Lord God, help me to give my life selflessly. Help me to be willing to sacrifice so that others might flourish in your love. Father, help me teach this truth to my son. Lord, help him as he asserts his independence to witness my model of service and love to him that you have shown me.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?