Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 

June 15 Ephesian 2

Go ahead and look first at Ephesians 2 . See how God speaks to you individually. Then come back, if you wish, and see what God has put in my mind/heart.



Key Verse(s): Ephesians 2:4b-5

God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.



Title: Grace


Observation:
Grace. We are so tempted to add things to grace, like grace + works, grace + obedience, grace + Bible reading, grace + attending church regularly as our key to salvation. The truth is that grace + anything is always less than grace alone. Grace is unmerited favor which we enjoy, and should richly enjoy, through the blood of Jesus Christ.



Every so often I get selfish. Or self-centered. In my own little cosmic scheme I begin to believer that I am the only true believer, the only one that really sees what needs to be done, the only one faithful enough to see a work of God through. How foolish and narcissistic of me!



I do not want to be a Pharisaical, yet the temptation, particularly in pastoral ministry, is great. We like to draw lines well short of the line of sin. One, it keeps people from falling into sin in our imagination (in actuality it make exactly the opposite way). It also makes church discipline a whole lot easier. If we erect a large fence of righteousness around our little clan of believers it can bring the unity and strength of a mini-“cult”. But in exchange we would have to give up our greatest gift from God, grace. We would no longer be free. And Jesus came to earth so that we might have life, real life, life to the fullest measure.



Application: I need to be free. I need to love more freely. I need to not be defensive about my weaknesses and allow people to know me better. I need to be willing to handle rebuke, Lord, give me the grace to do this!



Prayer:
Lord God, help me to live in grace and not try to put myself or others under the law. Your grace is sufficient. Help me believe that and communicate that and be willing to trust you for the results.

8

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?