Monday, January 14, 2008

 

High Cost (Genesis 34; Genesis 35; Genesis 36; Luke 14)

Scripture: "Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. (Luke 14:23)

Observation: Jesus tells a parable about sending his servants out to make the banquet full. The good people will not come, so he invites the poor, the disenfranchised, everyone. And yet there is still more room.

God invites us to take him seriously, and to take ourselves less seriously. We very often find our identity in the company we keep- we are not very keen on associating with the down and out in our world. Yet these are the ones who respond to the master’s invitation. We need to know that our preferences are not of paramount importance in the kingdom of God. We must be willing to count the cost of what it will mean to follow Jesus.

Application: I took Josiah out to the playground today and saw a truly out of control kid. Maybe eight years old, swearing and threatening other children, threatening to kill with a gun. My first protective instinct was to take Josiah away. Probably the right thing to do. But is God calling me to invite him to the banquet, to a new way of life?

Prayer: Lord, help me to understand the cost of being a disciple. Help me be willing to love the unlovable, to be willing to reach out to those who are difficult. Help me to see that you have the power to change lives and change destinies. Thank you for changing me,

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?