Saturday, January 05, 2008

 

Pride and Temptation (Gen 9-11, Luke 4)

Scripture: Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth." (Genesis 11:4)

Observation: The people of Babel exhibited arrogance in their great building project. Pride was a major player in their destruction. At the same time our Savior rejected the shortcut of having all of the kingdoms of the world worship him by bowing to Satan. This is the destiny of all men, and Jesus could have had it without the agony of the cross. But instead he overcame the temptations of pride and refused

Application: I long for success, for accomplishments. Would I have been one of the building planners at Babel? I would like to believe I would have been able to turn down the offer of all the kingdoms of the world, but sometimes I have trouble even turning down another piece of cake. This enemy, pride, is very dangerous to me and I must ask Christ to give me victory over it.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, please give me the strength to reject all the world in order to follow you. I pray that you would keep me from temptation, but that you might also give me the power to overcome the temptations that do come my way. Help me to believe always that your way is better and that shortcuts never really are shorter. .

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?